The Coating Process
Coating with thermo-adhesives is ideal to add functionality to a substrate, creating a new product or to add the adhesive for reactivation in a next step of the production process. Either for laminating roll-to-roll or as cut-piece in a heated press.
3D animation explaining the coating process on a Klieverik calender
Coating process with thermoplastic adhesive powder
Coating with powder is widely used for products that are laminated by an end-user or higher tier supplier either in a roll-to-roll or in a moulding process. So typically the same powders as for laminating are used. For materials with smooth surfaces a small infra-red section is advised to fix the powder to the substrate.
Coating process with thermoplastic adhesive film or web
Coating with film or web can be used similar as with powder for re-activation later on, but can also provide the desired finish to a material.
- The choice of a wide range of adhesive powders, webs and films for any application and demand
- Quick change over to a complete different product and machine settings possible; well within ½ hour you will be in production again
- Laminating of 2 or 3 substrates as well as coating possible on the same equipment
- It is suitable for any flexible material coming from a roll; textiles, paper, grids, foils and at any width
Low cost production
The cost per m2 are very low making this equipment very attractive:
- High speeds are possible
- Efficient in energy consumption, due to direct heating contact, no radiation losses or unnecessary heating and cooling of belts
- High reproducibility minimizing material loss
- Min spare parts requirement and long lifetime of the belt, heating elements and thermal oil
If you would like to know more about Klieverik’s laminating and coating calenders, feel free to contact Klieverik or your local agent. We will be happy to help you decide which calender would be best for you.